Saturday, May 12, 2012

$$$

So I love weight watchers, especially the new points plus program. It's awesome because it's teaching me how to eat healthy. Vegetables are some of my loves, but because my husband doesn't really like them, I've gotten out of the habit of eating them. Sometimes I felt like I didn't deserve to "waste" my money on them because I was the only person in our family who would eat them. I don't know why I would feel that way, I have no problem buying my husband things like pizza pockets, chicken nuggets and any other kind of nasty snacks that I don't like, mostly I HATE them! So why do I feel like its ok for him to have all those unhealthy snacks but it's not ok for me to spend a dollar on some squash or zucchini? Don't get me wrong, my husband has never made me feel this way, he encourages me, he just doesn't partake.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about why people are obese in America. They were discussing he idea that we need to pass new laws to limit snacks given to children, whether it's from McDonalds or vending machines at schools. They were discussing how for some people they're obese because they can't "afford" to eat healthy. I think that's a total cop out. I you can afford to go but a meal at McDonald then you can afford to go buy something healthy from the grocery store.

I believe the problem with obesity in America lies with us not caring about the poor food choices that we make at every meal. It's easier to take my kids to the drive-thru when they're tired and cranky after playing at the park. It's easier to have my husband pick up a pizza on his way home from work. But with a little planning ahead, those good choices because easier too.

My other theory is that we're just not informed. We haven't taken the time to learn about what is healthy to put into our bodies and what isn't healthy. Fueling our bodies is hard work, and can sometimes be confusing. But the more we learn and work towards being healthy, the better off we are.

Getting America Healthy starts with getting one Mommy at a time healthy. A healthy mom can teach her children healthy habits. Here's to the health of my family. It starts here. It starts now.

No comments:

Post a Comment